As much as I like to forage garage sales and salvation army for new treasures, I'm constantly trying to declutter and get rid of stuff. My husband really likes to hold on to things...so I guess one of us needs to have the courage to LET IT GO :) I was about to give this dresser away when I realized G&G would really need another dresser in their room. I don't know why it took me so long to think about painting it. I've painted 5 pieces of furniture with Annie Sloan chalk paint this year and when you're on a roll you just keep going. I have a love/hate (hate is a strong word here and it's not that bad but a definite disappointment) relationship with her chalk paint. I love the colors and that I don't have to sand or prime. But my first project, my dining room set nonetheless, did not work out as planned. But that is a story for another day. My story today has a very happy ending.
I chose Scandinavian Pink for this dresser even thought I'm not crazy about the color at full saturation. I'd done some research and when diluted with white, it's a really beautiful pink. I used little plastic cups to mix my different sections. I started by doing 50/50 for the darkest pink. Then going lighter I did 2 parts Old White to 1 part pink. But there wasn't a big enough difference in the colors. So I ended up doing 4 parts white to one part pink for the darkest bottom drawer, 8 parts white to 1 park pink, 12 parts white to 1 part pink, and then 16 parts white to 1 part pink, and had the top drawer and body of the dresser in full old white.
I did 3 coats of paint for each drawer and 2 for the main dresser.
Painted & Waxed!
I planned to use the original knobs but did not want to use the handles. I checked out Ebay and found the perfect ones. It was a group of 7 (just what I needed) for $3 and $2.93 shipping! Woohoo what a deal! I gave them all an update with some gold spray paint and the project was complete! I am thrilled with the final outcome.
I only used about half of a small jar of Scandinavian Pink and had a lot left over from what I mixed. I just mixed all my mixed variations together and ended up with a color in the middle. I'm sure I'll find a project for it!